Thursday, July 11, 2013

Brotherly Love

       When Damon was almost one, we thought pretty seriously about having another. I didn't know if I was ready for the craziness that having two little people close in age would bring. I had two older brothers who were close in age, and they fought with each other all the time. So I was worried, but I couldn't let the thought that they COULD be enemies keep me from having another one.
      When I got pregnant, I swore it was a girl. It was a little different than the first pregnancy so I took that as a sign that it was a girl! Yeah, I was way wrong. And I'll admit I was a little sad at the thought of no tu tu's and glitter in the house. But the closer I got to my due date, the more excited I was for two little boys.

This picture was taken a few hours after Rafe was born. One of my all time faves









           Now that Rafe is getting older, he is starting to fight back and become more aggressive. These two are a handful, but they are so much fun and they laugh and giggle together more than they fight. I thought I was going to die the first year after Rafe was born. I just couldn't seem to really feel on top of things. The sleepless nights, opposite nap schedules, and the nagging that would go on during the day, and not to mention the dreaded trips out of the house. It really only took me a few months before it seemed like no big deal, but to this day sometimes ask myself if I had them too close. Or if I should have given Damon more time with just Dan and I before we added another baby. Damon was only 20 months when Rafe was born. Right now Rafe is 18 months and it is CRAZY to me that I was getting ready to have another one with Damon at this point. Rafe seems so small still!
            A few weeks ago our A/C broke and we were dying of heat, so we had dinner at McDonalds and let the kids play at their strangely clean play place. There were tons of kids. Damon went over to try and play, but they wouldn't let him. They were all quite a bit older and I think they were all friends. Damon went over to the part that's just for 3 and under kids and just sat there and watched the kids. It seriously broke my heart. He just looked so sad, and I couldn't help but think this isn't the first time he's going to encounter this problem. Kids can be so mean. Anyways, Rafe was finishing up eating so Dan got him out and said go find Damon! and Rafe ran over to where Damon was sitting and gave him the biggest smile. Damon automatically lit up and he ran over and hugged Rafe and they started playing together.
My heart could have exploded. It brought tears to me eyes to see the friendship they have and to know that whatever happens at school or with their other friends, they will always have each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment